Park Ridge, a rural and residential outer suburb, is 10 km south-west of Logan Central and 26 km south of central Brisbane.
Although sounding like a modern real-estate name, Park Ridge is over 100 years old. Originally settled in the 1880s, several timber cutters apparently thinned out the tree cover either causing or adding to a park-like appearance of the area regarded as part of Logan Reserve and Browns Plains, and apparently known as Logan Ridge. Renaming as Park Ridge followed, recorded first in the post office directory in 1895.
The local primary school was opened in 1895, providing for families in Browns Plains and Greenbank (now Boronia Heights). Several crops were grown, including tobacco, and poultry and egg production for the metropolitan market continued well into the 1960s. The post office directory for 1949 recorded the school and 22 farmers. The Park Ridge public hall was opened in 1953.
Park Ridge’s urban area is in the vicinity of the primary school at Mount Lindsay Highway and Park Ridge Road. Opposite the school there are a drive-in shopping centre (1976) and the Park Ridge High School (1991). Also on the highway there are the Baptists Church (1967) and the Assembly of God church and its Parklands Christian College (2001). Other religious bodies have acquired sites for their churches and car-travel congregations: Seventh Day Adventist, Anglican, Baptist and Jehovahs Witness. The St Philomena Independent P-7 Catholic school (1999) is on Park Ridge’s southern boundary. Other car travellers have the choice of two caravan parks. The Hammond Village (150 acres) includes relocatable houses, permanent units and a community hall.
Park Ridge South was detached from Park Ridge, and formally named in 1991. Its western and eastern boundaries adjoin Greenbank and Chambers Flat, and there is a large linear reserve along Chambers Creek’s headwaters. Park Ridge South has a tennis centre, and there are three churches at or just beyond its border with Mount Lindesay Highway and Park Ridge.
Census populations were:
|PARK RIDGE||PARK RIDGE SOUTH|